Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Search Ranking Algorithm Update Happening Today?
I am seeing some early signs that there is a Google search ranking algorithm update happening today. Most of the signs are coming out of the UK, because maybe they have had time to process the changes. Are you noticing changes as of this morning with your Google rankings and organic search traffic?
- Google Search Console Performance Report Now Shows Consolidation Data
Google announced pretty big news for most of the readers here related to the performance report in Google Search Console. Starting the end of next month, the data in the performance report will be based on the canonical URL, which means the AMP, mobile, etc will all be counted towards the main URL’s data in the performance report.
- Yoast To Add Live Indexing With Bing & Google
Joost de Valk announced at YoastCon that the popular WordPress plugin, Yoast SEO, will provide live indexing with both Google and Bing starting next month. I’ll be honest, I am a bit confused on how this will work with Google but I assume with Bing – they are working with their new submit URL API.
- Bing Looking To Hire Project Manager To Work On Search Rankings
Bing’s Frédéric Dubut posted on Twitter that his company, Microsoft, is looking to hire a new project manager to work on the “secrets of the Bing ranking algorithm.” Specifically they are hiring a PM to work on the 10 blue links that show up in the Bing search results. He calls them Bing’s crown jewels.
- Google Updates Content Guidelines For QA Pages
Google has one again made updates to the QA page content guidelines, this time providing dos and don’ts with more detail. Previously Google added these guidelines in December of last year for the new QA page schema.
- The Nest Barn At Google
Here is a photo of the Nest barn, in blue, with a nest, near the Google offices. I think it isn’t there now but was there for some event. Google owns Nest, the thermostat, smoke detector, etc company.
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
- Please fill out my survey on how you use Google. You DON’T have to be technically savvy to fill this out and it should only take a few minutes. Responses will be used toward a future blog. Thanks! #SEO #Google https://t.co/CzZpLhmpWQ, Lily Ray on Twitter
- Removing / hiding URLs is pretty important, yep! (That said, since you mentioned technical SEO — this just hides the URL in search, it doesn’t remove it from crawling / processing / indexing.)… https://t.co/n1X9XnE9M8, John Mueller on Twitter
- After Google+ …how much legitimacy has Google lost with publishers?, WebmasterWorld
- Google is testing new hotel local packs on mobile – https://t.co/E8wWYAcabM . cc:@rustybrick, Sergey Alakov on Twitter
- Google’s New Blockchain Search Tools, WebmasterWorld
- There are some cool ideas in there. Making an automated score for SEO health is bound to be incomplete (and potentially misleading), but it’s neat to see how far you can go, and sometimes you only see the limits when you try to, John Mueller on Twitter
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice